What is Capgras syndrome?
Capgras syndrome is a nasty neurogenerative effect found in some dementia diseases–in particular Lewy Body Dementia. It is also called the Imposter Syndrome. What it looks like for your loved one is that they see 2-3 versions of you, and you are not the real version of you. There are also 2-3 different houses that they think they live in, and they are never at the one that is “home.” Because of this they think you are an imposter or substitute for the real. And the house is not where they live. It’s nasty business.
The problem is that logic will not offer much help. Demanding that you as the caregiver are the real person and that they really are home will not make a big difference. The brain is not working in a way that can process rational decision making.
What can you do?
- First of allsStay calm yourself. Getting argumentative is the worst thing you can do. It’s frustrating. But realize it’s neuro-degeneration, not your loved one talking.
- Tell them you will go get the right person. Walk out the door and come back in. Sometimes that helps.
- If they are obsessing about the house, take a drive and come back “home.” Don’t try to convince them it’s home. Just bring them up the drive like it’s everyday business.
Are there any medications for Capgras Syndrome?
At this time I’m not aware of any pharmaceutical interventions. But Capgras can be overcome (based on personal experience). I can’t tell you what others have done or doctors will tell you, I can only tell you what has worked for us:
- Prayer to the Father in Jesus’ name. Desperate prayer.
- Better nutrition. No more dairy and gluten (a known dementia trigger). Massive reduction in sugar, oil and salts.
- Supplemental help and guidance. We met with Lisa O’Brien of O’Brien pharmacy (pharmacist/nutritionist). We were put on a supplement plan. It helped tremendously. Side Note: If we only had one supplement to do, we would do the Optimal Daily Allowance Vitamin. I believe (not 100%) it won the Vitamin of the Year in North America with the pharmaceutical association. It’s so far above any other vitamin it’s unbelievable. It’s only $50 for 250 (1-800-627-4360). Been a key factor for my loved one’s healing.
With several weeks of following of this regimen, Capgras Syndrome slowly went away. (I HATE this syndrome.) It did take a solid few weeks but it was worth it. I have only God to thank. Hope that if your loved one suffers from this that you can find help too. Don’t give up! There is help out there. Just keep looking.